Monday, April 12, 2010

The road not taken, yet.


Have you ever dreamed of doing something so off-the-wall insane and held back because of some preconceived notion of you as a person? Do you ever stare out of windows dreaming of what your life could have been like? Like the girly girl who is dying to go backpacking, or the cube dwelling tax accountant that wants to base jump? Maybe your a housewife who always wanted to lead a guided tour through the Amazon. But no, no, no...thats too hard. What would "they" think. Have you ever felt boxed in by a stereotype?

So often I feel that we are trapped down to whatever conventions are put in front of us as parameters for success. While homeownership and family establishing is important to many, it is no longer important to me. There was a time when all I wanted was a house and kids and a husband. Then I became single and started to wonder if that was actually what I wanted after all. Answer was simply: No, not at all.

Thus I began my quest to find out about other people who, like me, are left unfufilled at hte concept of a 9-5, a co-op and a goldfish. I've stumbled over many unique blogs in my research. Some about people who live on boats as they sail around the world. Others about people who have chosen to live out of a van/RV and travel around the country working odd jobs to support themselves. I've read about people who spend months at a time on bike tours, people who work trap lines in the northern BC forests, hundreds of miles from the nearest town.

I find THAT portion of life-living to be absolutely enthralling.

So here is my own blog journal. It is mean to capture my adventures, as well as the adventures of others if I feel so inclined. It is a place where I hope people will eventually be able to come together to talk about the fun, quirky and often dream inspiriing world of those who have chosen to live out the lines from Robert Frosts famous poem:

"I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment