Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm leaving

As of right now, my last day at work is supposed to be May 1st. Work does not yet know this. I will be putting in my two weeks notice at the end of my "work week", which is Saturday. I think that would be the best thing for me. That way I can spend the month of May in complete freedom to do as I wish. I have a lot to prepare for.

Once these six weeks has passed, and I am wandering the streets of Juneau waiting for my summer to start, I won't care so much. In the meantime, its getting mighty hard watching that bank account balance keep dipping and dipping downward. It took me so long to save that money. But this is worth it.

I'm moving to Alaska. I'm gonna live in a tent, and probably eat a lot of beans. When I'm not busy working, I'll stare at mountains and gawk at my reality. And thats it. And honestly...thats all I care about right now. I have a lot to thank God for.

If my back doesn't hold...I won't know what to do. So I've started physical therapy twice a week. I'll be going straight through till I leave, twice a week. I need to strengthen my back muscles for the road ahead.

I have a zero degree rated sleeping bag on order through Bass Pro Shop. I'll also be picking up a self inflating sleeping pad, tent and excursion pack from there. The clothing will come separately over the next few weeks. Oh, I need boots too. Those will set me back about $200. Yeah.

So, this is my life. And thats fine. The way things were looking about a month ago...coulda brought me to tears. I need this adventure. I need it almost in the way I need food. I'm hungry for a change. I need a change, I need that defining moment to come when I can shrug off the life I live now, and take the next step.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is... Wow.

    Good luck to ya. You are going to have an amazing experience. I'm envious.

    Here's hoping to one day hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete